Friday, March 26, 2010

Challenges!

Hello after a lapse in writing! Sorry to all my fans (Hi sister!).

Today’s topic is challenges!

I know I don’t have daily topics – but this has been a big one for me lately! Let me tell you, when I went to the bachelorette party 2 weekends ago that I didn’t care what I ate or drank for the entire weekend. Even worse was when I thought that I needed to get back on track on Sunday but was hungover due to the festivities the night before. That hasn’t happened to me a whole lot recently because I haven’t drank like that in months!

What’s the cure for a hangover? If you said greasy food, you are right! Well I kind of, sort of went to Burger King and got their Chicken Fries – 9 points - (yes, that was what I thought I could actually stomach) and regular French Fries – approx* 5 points – and a Sprite – approx 4 points.

*Please note I was having trouble with the bk website while finding out this nutritional info so that’s why some of these values are just approx

But it doesn’t stop there folks, just a mere 2 hours down the road I decided it would really hit the spot to get some Pizza Hut breadsticks from the Worlds Largest Truckstop and a frosty from Wendy’s.

To my credit, I honestly couldn’t eat all of this and ended up giving some of this food to my carpool buddies.

The challenges didn’t stop there, my bro came to town for St. Patty’s week! I was obviously super excited to see him but this lead to drinking a lot during the week an not counting points… whoops! I won’t go into the details because before you know it I had the St. Patty’s Metra Crawl (awesome) and literally ate everything in sight (and drank it too).

By the end of all this I could have given up, and honestly it was hard to get used to eating carrots for lunch when I have been enjoying fried things for a solid 10 days… but to turn it all around I had to (and still HAVE to) focus on what I really want. And it’s not 100% about weight loss, but also just being healthy! As of this morning I have hit the gym 4 days in a row and plan to take tonight off to spend time with the boyfriend. I’ve been really appreciating the fact that I don’t have a car and that I have “no choice” but to work out for an hour and a half until my boyfriend can come pick me up.

Monday – I did light cardio including 20 minutes on the stair climber, 25 minutes walking at a faster pace (I couldn’t bring myself to run yet), and then about 40 minutes on the recumbent bike. Very light stuff, made very easy by hooking my headphones up to the TV’s which are conveniently located on the cardio equipment. Honestly, with luxuries like this, why is our country still so fat? I can’t get over it.

Tuesday – Resistance training! I did about 9 different types of lifting equipment as I’m still not comfortable working on the free weights yet. I like having the machines show me what to do, otherwise I’m just staring at the free weights thinking “WTF are you for again?”. I’m open to trying new things but I kinda want someone to show me wassup!

Wednesday – More cardio! My memory is getting foggy as this week has been a blur, however I ran for 25 minutes at a 5.0 pace (12 minute miles) which is a pace that I’m comfortable running. I’ve always wanted to be a fast runner but I’m not sure that’s what I’m meant to do. In the past I’ve fell off the wagon several times because I force myself to run at a 6.0 pace (10 minute miles) and I get so winded and discouraged. I then went on the recumbent bike for about 40 minutes and then walked for about 15 minutes on the treadmill.

Please note that I do want to get faster at running and challenge myself, but now isn’t the time, I’ll slowly but surely creep my way up to a faster pace.

Thursday – Light resistance training. I didn’t go all out yesterday as I stopped along the train to check out a potential apartment for me and the boyfriend. I luckily ended the visit at the apartment with just enough time (like within seconds) to get the train to go north 2 stops to my town. Then I went to the gym for probably 30 minutes and just did whatever equipment I found enjoyable, some of my faves are leg workouts such as the leg press and the super slutty leg abductor and adductor – the machines make you open up your legs and either press the weights inward or outward depending on which muscle group you work, leading to the inevitable crotch shot. Please don’t judge me, I just want skinny thighs!

I weighed myself this morning and after 10 days of falling off the wagon and 4 days back on I am about .5 pounds heavier than I was on day one of my “falloff”. I’m calling it a wash though because it could have been a lot worse! The worst case scenario is that I never even update you all on my status because I’m still on a food bender. Luckily I’m back betch! Best get used to it!

Weigh in tomorrow, I’ll let you know the official status then!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see your blog! I needed this time-out from work!!

    With the running, when you are ready to start increasing your pace, you can start slow. Go to 5.1 for a week or 2, then the next week, go to 5.2 & so on. Soon, you won't feel winded & it will feel like your natural pace. When I am off the tread for a while (like my 2 week bender) it is hard to get back to my tread pace (6.7 to 6.9). So, I kindof do like I said above & take it from there. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap sista! I can't believe you run that fast! Did you buy a treadmill?

    ReplyDelete