Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Negativity Schmegativity

Recently, I came to the conclusion that I have become somewhat negative and mean at times.  I really hate that!  I am a nice person, SWEAR!  So in effort to make a change in my life I'm just trying to do little things on a regular basis, no make that daily/hourly basis that helps send positivity out into the world.  This is done in a somewhat "pay it forward" manner hoping that by giving positivity, it will be returned to me someday after going full circle and hopefully making the world a better place.

Last week I was having a rough day - can't even remember why now, but it was just one of those days where things just aren't going right.  Well, our FedEx deliveryman, Joseph, came in and as usual had a positive attitude.  Well I should say that I didn't know his name at the time when he came in - after years of working with this man and noticing how he's always kind and a joy to talk to I didn't know his name.  He helped me with a large delivery by pushing these crates through the office, after which I bashfully told him that I felt terrible that I didn't know his name and that I wanted to properly introduce myself. 

Joseph, my name is Elizabeth *shake hands*. 

Joseph takes off to make his other deliveries and I sat down at my desk and made a point to do something I should have done a LONG time ago.  Which was to write a glowing, positive letter of thanks to FedEx Corporate for having such a positive employee on their staff, one that goes the extra mile to help us in the office and without any complaints.  I typed up a one page letter, made sure my contact info was posted so they could call me if they had any questions and sent it via USPS (yes, sending a letter to FedEx via the United States Postal Service - the irony wasn't lost on me here). 

And there it went, a letter of positivity to FedEx which will hopefully result in Joseph getting praise from his manager or someone at corporate, which will hopefully get into his HR file, which will be instrumental in getting him promoted when the time comes.  (At least that's the end result I wish to happen!)

By being positive last week I really felt it was therapeutic - and I encourage everyone today to consider those they come across daily, your deliveryman, your cashier at Target, the kind person who holds the door open for you, and thank them for their help if they've truly helped you, write a letter to management if an employee went above and beyond, do something positive.  I don't think you'll regret it.


1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome story!! I love it.
    We could even take the challenge greater and find some praise for someone who doesn't make it as obvious and in reality probably needs it desperately! Thanks for the great reminder and example!!

    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete