Friday, December 2, 2011

First Week At My Dream Job

I had an amazing first week at my new job at Iowa State.  My very first day of work reminded me so much of my orientation at ISU back in 2002.  The day consisted of me getting my ISU Card, setting up my email address and registering for classes meeting new people.  I am going to be working closely with the Department Chairs to help coordinate events, write articles and produce a monthly and quarterly newsletter, analyze data and many other things.  The job is a new position that, I like to think, I was born for.




My goal has been to work my ass off.  I have a lot to prove to make them impressed... it IS Iowa State after all.  The people I work closely with are so accomplished that my experience pales in comparison.  I can't wait until I learn more about my position and I'm able to tackle projects that are given to me on a regular basis. 

One of the things that intimidates me the most is the fact that I've been given my very first office.  The fact that I have my own walls and window and door goes kind of hand in hand with the fact that, I feel I've been given a position that comes with a lot of responsibility and I have to respect that honor.  This is one of the best things that's ever happened to me!  If you had told me 2 months ago, or even 5 years ago, that I'd be working in the College of Business I would have laughed at you in your face.  I never thought I could acheive this!!!


Please have a seat in my office.


Where I'm getting my work done.

A view of Curtiss Hall and Ross Hall from my desk chair.

Today I was fortunate enough to attend the retirement party of a secretary of the COB and a former department head.  They had 28 and 20 years of experience at ISU and the speeches given were so moving.  You can really tell that ISU has a really tight knit community and one of the speeches actually made me tear up.  But the best part is that one of the department heads (who I'm still intimidated by) gave a speech and was quite hilarious.  Laughing at the jokes of my superior made me feel much more comfortable - because now I know that humor can go a long way, even with the intellectuals! 

Now that I'm super busy with work, I'm unfortunately not going to be able to sneak in blogging at work anymore... I'm going to try and update on weekends and have the posts publish on a regular basis throughout the week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment