Wednesday, April 9, 2014

VEISHEA Riot... Again?

This morning I woke up and did my usual thing... check facebook while still in bed. Already there were posts from 3-4 people who commented that there was a riot in Ames last night during VEISHEA. 

My heart just sunk. It just means bad things. I feel so bad for the students who worked their butts off this year to make VEISHEA a fun and amazing experience that students get to have for free. It's open to everyone and there are so many things that are fun to do that don't include getting extremely drunk on a TUESDAY night and throwing glass beer bottles at police, flipping at least 2 cars, and knocking over a street lamp which "seriously injured" one student. 

I remember when the riot was happening in 2004, a friend received a text while we were having a semi-calm party in Frederiksen Court (FTR - I can still spell Frederiksen correctly without looking it up). I remember thinking that I wished I was there experiencing that. God, I was dumb. I don't know what the appeal was - just a bunch of kids partying that got out of hand taking it to the streets of Welch. 10 years later I am so glad I wasn't there, that I didn't get pepper sprayed, and that my future wasn't ruined. 

Now that we live in an age where everyone has a video camera in their pocket everyone needs to step up their game. Even when you're drunk you shouldn't act like this. You're going to be named by your friends or classmates and you're going to get in trouble. 

This morning I woke up to my baby safe in his crib. I was able to hold him and sooth him right away. He was none-the-wiser of the stupid events that happened last night. He was safe in my arms. I was able to hold him and know that he was 100% ok with the exception of being a little hungry. I feel for the parents of students right now... now they have to worry that even on a TUESDAY night they have to worry about their babies (who are now adults in college) because one thing leads to another and another freaking riot happens. I have a hard enough time sleeping when I know my baby is in the next room. 

Kids - just stop being stupid! Can you just please act mature. Don't ruin VEISHEA for everyone. 

While I sit at work with an extremely short attention span refreshing the Iowa State homepage looking for an update on the future of VEISHEA I just can't help but think about that poor student and his family. I hope he's ok, I hope that nothing long term happens to this young adult because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment