Friday, July 11, 2014

My little man

On the 2nd Friday in July 2013, I decided to call it a temporary quits and officially start maternity leave. Brian and I went on walks multiple times a day, long before this and we really stepped it up after I went on leave. I went to a chiropractor to get acupuncture to help stimulate things and little did I know that it may have actually worked because I went into labor on the 2nd Saturday of July.

Looking back on this incredible year, I just know that I am extremely lucky to have my little Nolan in my life. He is truly the best little guy I could ask for. Sure, he's a bit of a stinker at times - like when he gets impatient while I'm trying to wipe his butt during a diaper change and he tries crawling away - but darnit I love the crap out of that kid!

Newborn
3 Months
6 Months
9 Months
Coming soon: a 12 month picture (we're getting those taken next week)

This weekend is his first birthday party. I have to admit that I've been kind of slacking in the planning department. But I know we can get the essentials: beer, food, and games. Even though we're having a Sunday event, I think a little beer goes hand in hand with bags or ladder golf.

I remember when we first brought Nolan home, Brian and I were scared but excited. The first thing we did (after soothing him from a cranky car ride home) was show him around the house. "This is your room!" we said.

As we moved from room to room in the house, we knew our lives were forever changed. We gave Nolan nicknames... a lot of them:
  • Little buddy
  • Pumpkin or Punky
  • Little man
  • Baby Nolan
  • Stinker McGinker
We smothered him in kisses. And as he grew older he started to giggle as we interacted with him. A sound that will forever make me smile. For some reason he loves it when I turn into a super creepy "witch" mom and I start saying, "I'm going to steal allllll the baby kisses, and allllllll the baby hugs!"

He has 8 teeth and he'll chomp on your finger when you're brushing them
He is a walker
He hates it when I clip his fingernails
He loves eating bananas
He knows exactly what he shouldn't be getting into and gets into it right away
He climbs stairs and when he gets past the wall where he can't see me, he waits until I get there into view and then starts racing up the stairs away from me
He loves playing peekaboo
He says "mama" and "dada" and is starting to say "ba" and "na" sounds
He'll eat just about anything you give him
He can climb off of big furniture (like a bed or couch) without getting hurt

He's always been a very happy baby. Even if he doesn't like to sleep through the night... still. He's happy to be awake whenever we see him.

When he was really little, he'd sleep with his hands up by his ears like he was doing a lazy version of the "touchdown" sign.

One of my favorite things that I already miss is when he was brand new and we'd put him on the mat and he'd just kick kick with his little feet.

We spent our first really long weekend away from him last weekend and when we returned he was so happy to see us! I would pick him up and he'd give me a little hug and then he'd see his daddy and leap towards him to be held by him and to give him a big hug, and then he'd see me again and leap towards me and so on.

He is such an amazing little man, I am so lucky to have him in my life.

1 comment: