Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Namegate

I'm officially 25 weeks now and unfortunately Brian and I are 100% at a loss for what to name our baby.

We're so completely split on the matter it's unreal. I have a few names I like (but don't love) and he keeps pressing on a few names that are ok (but I don't love). We're spinning our wheels!

This isn't an invite to start chiming in with your name options, because flying spaghetti monster knows I can't handle more cooks in this kitchen. But this is more of a post on how naming this child is proving to be quite difficult.

Our ground rules:
  • No "N" names - I come from a family where everyone was named with either a C or K name... and I don't like the matchy sounds... seriously: Carson, Karmin, Katie, Cooper, Kyhl, Connie, Kenny, Kevin, Kurt, Cary, Karl, Casey - and honestly I know there's more but I'm not going to rack my brain trying to remember them all... this is the biggest reason I have the hardest time remembering even my own cousin's names when I haven't seen them in a while. 
  • Name should be somewhat traditional - in both spelling and familiarity among the people
  • Name should not be in the top 50 of the popular baby names for 2014 (or any preliminary lists for 2015)
  • Name should be special for both of us and we need to agree on it. This is my Everest.
So Brian and I are having a constant struggle of naming our child. It was SO EASY when it came to naming Nolan. We knew before our anatomy scan, before we were even sure he was a boy, that we both loved the name "Nolan" for a boy. Now we're constantly thinking about it. We are listening extra hard to the names of the characters on TV, athletes, whatever we can get our hands on. 

Why is this so much harder this time around? 

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried looking through a baby book to get inspiration? Just seeing that many names at once may spark something. You could check one out from the library to save the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygod we're the exact same way!!! Ben was so easy to name, and this one's so freaking hard!!!

    ReplyDelete