Wednesday, December 6, 2017

The Sure Thing

In January 2016 I was about 39 weeks pregnant when our furnace went out. It was a record low that week (I'm talking negative 20 degrees) and I went home randomly and realized that even though the thermostat said it was trying to make the house 65 degrees (in the middle of the workday) the house was in the low 60s. So I called up the furnace guys that check our furnace annually to see what we needed fixed.

Unfortunately, the furnace was shot. It was old and we could see this coming if we really thought about it. 

They scheduled an appointment with a sales guy to come to my house and discuss options.

What I thought was funny was he was trying to sell me on their company and their product. Like, "the reason this brand that we carry is the best is X, Y, and Z" and why their customers like them so much etc... 

As I sit in the room with space heaters and the faucets all running to ensure that my pipes didn't freeze I just looked at him and wondered if he had ever seen a more sure thing for a sale in his life. At the time of our appointment, I believe I was 6 days from my due date and we were sleeping with Nolan in our room with electric blankets to make sure we were all warm without having a scary space heater in the bedroom at night. 

When the salesguy said something to the tune of "well I'll let you think about it with your husband [who wasn't there at the time] and IF you decide to go with us we can schedule installation."

IF we go with you? 

Dude, it was -20 degrees and I was kind of a ticking time bomb. I needed that furnace installed yesterday. I responded, "nah, we'll be going with you" and pretty much said "take all my money". 

I was a sure thing for that salesman. There was no way I was going to shop around for a new furnace at that point and he didn't even act like there was any urgency. 

I just thought of this when I was driving around the other day and just laughed at what must have been obvious desperation that the salesman overlooked. 

1 comment:

  1. =) it's so fun to remember stuff like this. even better when we can record it and read it YEARS from now!
    (can't believe it's almost two years! GAH!)

    ReplyDelete