Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaable Guy!

I sit here writing this with glossy, yet extremely dry, eyes... I'm exhausted!! I've had one of those days where you're so sleepy it's hard to function which makes this whole achievement all the better!!

Today, after inspiration from a co-worker, I called RCN and asked to cancel our service (a total bluff). When they asked me why, I told them it was because Comcast was offering me a better rate for the same products. I gave them a bogus quote (about $15 less than what I'm paying now) that included DVR, HD, Internet as well as HBO and other movie channels we currently have all of the above except for HBO and the other movie channels -- and the service agent on the other line asked me if they could lower their rate or give me more services if I would consider staying.

Honestly, my goal was to end up paying less overall but this guy started telling me about their current promotions. It was an earful to say the least but basically to the right is our "before" services and to the left is our "after" services.
I just realized since I'm tired I didn't think about how usually the "before" picture tends to be on the left... You'll just have to deal with it cuz I don't want to re-upload them to be on either side :)
The upgraded package includes 20 Mbps High-Speed Internet (their fastest connection which is 4x faster than what we currently have), Encore, Showtime, and 84 additional channels including 15 new HD channels! Personally, I'm most excited about getting BBC America!!!
I'd like to tell you I'm getting all this for $15 less than what I was previously paying but I can't - I am paying $1 less/month though! I consider this a frugal battle victory - the war continues as I'm sure they'll try to creep up the price in the future. At that time, I'll just tell them I'm switching to RCN!
In order to achieve best results:
  • Don't just tell them you're cancelling - you're going to a different service provider. (Since many areas don't have more than one cable option if you have satellite, tell them you want cable and vice versa)
  • Be polite on the phone - the customer service workers aren't going to be motivated to keep you on as a client if you're rude to them. These people aren't getting paid to keep you on as a customer, so what's in it for them if you're mean?
  • If you have a legit offer from a competitor in your hands, that's preferable - however if you are comfortable with streeeeeeeeeetching the truth then make up a deal on your own.

Good luck and let me know about your results in the comments below!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog! I should try that out & see what comes of it. On the same note, trying calling your credit cards & asking for a lower interest rate!! Sometimes they will just do it! Or at least, they will tell you when you are eligible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didnt know you had a blog! dun dun dun
    im excited to read:)

    ReplyDelete