Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Bad Judge of Character

A wise man once said something to the tune of, "If bad things keep happening to you, you're the common denominator so look at yourself before blaming others." His name is Dan Savage.

Damn, that man has taught me a lot. I highly suggest you all listen to his podcast Savage Love. Especially if you're conservative because he just GETS you guys.</ sarcasm>

For reals though, he is hilarious and if you're a liberal, crunchy girl like myself you will enjoy.
Anyways - I have once again found myself at a point where I have selected someone to care for my child who is not trustworthy. And for the first time in my life, I had to fire someone yesterday.

It started before I went back to work. I wanted to find a reliable babysitter for childcare needs outside of the daycare realm. I met with this girl who I found on care.com and had coffee with her. She seemed perfect! A sophomore in college (will be around for a few more years!), previously a nanny for a family of 4 kids (experience!), reliable transportation (a NEED because Nolan needs to get to daycare), early childhood education major (perfect major for a babysitter!), etc.
In hindsight, Mary Poppins was most definitely on drugs.
I had her watch Nolan a few times and those times all went fine... but then this happened:

1.) When I texted her the night before a babysitting job (to be at my house at 6:15ish am) she told me that she had strep and wasn't on antibiotics for 24 hours yet but she could still come watch Nolan... Ummmm no. My baby was 3ish months and I definitely didn't want to expose him to those germs. So I told her not to come.

2.) Another morning when she was scheduled to watch Nolan - I confirmed with her the night before and everything was ready to go. But 6:15am came and went without a text saying she'd be late. I sent her a message asking if everything was ok but got nothing. Finally at 7:00 I had to call my daycare provider and drop off Nolan early and pay $1/minute for it... She later called me in tears saying she set her alarm clock for PM instead of AM.

3) Finally the last straw. Last night I emailed her to give her some details of Friday morning's baby sitting job where I needed to be out the house by 6:00am. Her exact words were:

Hey sorry I just got this have been busy wih [sic] finals. My dad was planning on taking me to mall of America tomorrow for the weekend to celebrate the end of the semester but if there is nobody else to watch Nolan I can always try to plan it another time I feel bad I forgot that I had this day down to watch him!

Gee, thanks for making other commitments.

So I had to respond with this:

I'm sorry but this arrangement just isn't working out. I need someone reliable to watch my son and I don't feel like you have proved yourself to be someone I can trust going forward.

I have to wonder, since you didn't cancel before I sent this email,  if you were going to tell me you went out of town or if I was going to find myself without care on Friday morning.

Good luck to you on your finals.


So I'm back to square one finding someone who can watch Nolan.

This comes back to me though, I found a shitty daycare provider who ended up f*cking me over at the last minute, and this grosky biotch who thinks that she can just do as she pleases. 

I'm going back to care.com to find a new caretaker but this time I am going to have to bring Brian in on the interviews because I so clearly am an awful judge of character.

1 comment:

  1. don't blame yourself- sometimes these biotches screen through the best of the best! GL in the new search (man I hope I don't have as bad an experience with care.com people!)

    ReplyDelete