Thursday, December 5, 2013

This Too Shall Pass

Baby raisin' is hard work. And the hardest part of all so far (for me) is the lack of sleep. It's obviously a major drag and it's impossibly hard to keep optimistic when certain babies *ahem* are sleeping 12 hour stretches. (LUCKY!)

Last night after a particularly emotional day which was a long time coming from sleep deprivation - Brian volunteered to do all the night wakings/feedings/changing diapers etc. So finally after 4.5 months I finally slept 7 hours in.a.row.

They say this is the 4 month sleep regression or the 4 month wakeful. Where my baby WAS sleeping pretty well and well on his way to sleeping through the night on a regular basis until once upon a time he decided that it was time to start growing or that he misses me in the middle of the night or whatever it is. So this tired lady has been a sleep deprived walking zombie.

My problem yesterday was comparing my baby with another baby who is sleeping extremely well. So I decided I need to focus on the things my baby does well that other babies maybe aren't doing so well (this isn't supposed to be a jab at anyone who's currently having these problems, I just need to focus on some positive!)

  • He isn't colicky. Praise the flying spaghetti monster for this! I have heard horror stories of those with colicky babies and I count myself incredibly lucky that he is a happy baby!
  • He doesn't spit up... like ever. Ok there's been a few times, but I can count each of those times on one hand.
  • He's healthy! This is most important. That baby is right on track with weight and height and he's hitting milestones left and right :)
  • He's not rolling over completely yet... I know this is kind of a silly one, but until he actually starts rolling over, I do get a little break by setting him on his activity mat and not worrying that he's going to get up and start moving around. He'll be crawling before I know it and for now the fact that he's immobile is a blessing in disguise.
  • He surprises me with some nights of longer sleep. In fact, last night when Brian was watching him he slept a 6 hour stretch #ishouldhaveknownthatwouldhappen
  • He's laughing and smiling. That baby loves being happy! He loves playing with me. He's grabbing my hair and for some reason thinks it's delicious. He grabs my mouth/teeth and it's pretty hilarious.
  • He LOVES bathtime! OMG so cute! He flaps his arms up and down when he's excited and he does that in the bath. He also is kicking his feet and splish splashing! At first I wasn't sure if that meant that he was uncomfortable and wanted out until he paused, looked at me, and gave me a HUGE smile! 
And on a similar although not completely related note - we must always remember that coffee exists and I have access to it. 

OH AND - I have 2 full weeks of work before I have 12 days of vacation IN.A.ROW!!!

1 comment: