Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Body Too Bootyliscious

Before I had Nolan, I promised myself that I'd be a fit mama. Before I had Nolan I signed myself up for a post-baby race which would ultimately be a huge accomplishment and something to work for post-baby.

I had no idea getting back into shape would be this hard.

But I write today with good news. I'm making it work.

My challenge initially was finding the time. When does a new mom work out? This is especially challenging considering that I have a baby that still is having problems sleeping despite having a new mattress (although it's better).

After giving it much thought, I actually quit my gym membership that I currently had and started up a new membership with the facilities on my university campus where I work. So during my lunch hour I walk to the gym and run. I get sweaty. I go back to work a slightly disheveled version of my normal self. 

My first post baby goal was accomplished yesterday: Run 30 minutes without stopping

I didn't think it would be so hard to get back to what I considered a normal fitness level, but after 9 months of pregnancy, and working out some, but not really pushing myself, and then nearly 6 months of comatose non-movement/trying to play with my baby while sleep deprived state, I really regressed to someone who could barely run for 10 minutes.

My ongoing goal is to run/do cardio 3x a week and to burn a total of 750 calories a week doing so.


Boom. Worked out 3x already this week and have already surpassed my calorie burn goal.

My next goal is to increase speed. I'm currently running at a pathetic 4.6 on the treadmill (planning to run outside with baby when it finally gets in the 60-degree range). I want to increase my speed to a 5.0 at the minimum and to run at that pace for 30 minutes. That's an 11 minute mile. 

Ultimately, my goal is to run my race.... which is a TEN MILE RACE btw... at a 10 minute mile pace. Or a 6.0 on the treadmill.

The cool thing is that I've done it before. Remember this

Wish me luck! Tomorrow I'm running for 30 minutes at a 4.6 mile pace. Friday I'm taking the day off. And Saturday I'll be back in the gym but doing some weights this time. 

2 comments:

  1. You go, mama!! (my NYResolution/Lent add-on = working out every day in prep for my mudrun this summer! NO EXCUSES!)

    ReplyDelete