Friday, June 27, 2014

First World Amenities

I meant to post this on wednesday but it was just in my drafts. So happy friday!

So, I'm going to put this lightly. I've been tortured using sleep deprivation as a primary tactic.

That's all I'm really going to say to preface this blog. But basically, I think for me, in order to be the best mom I can be, am in desperate need for help. I worship naps, I actually kind of like pulling weeds, and diaper laundry is kind of a favorite chore of mine. But. I. Hate. Cleaning.

It might have been an act of desperation - but last week I called Merry Maids and hired them to clean my house in effort to free up some of my times on the weekend I generally reserve for feeling guilty about not cleaning. I hired them to come twice a month for as long as they'll continue cleaning my house.

Yeah, this is the part where you're thinking I pretty much take a limo to work, right? WRONG. I am not really one to just throw money at a problem*. I don't wear diamond tiaras and hand crafted silk shoes or whatever is in style nowadays.

*Good lord, I'm a liar. I totally am..

Money saving justification:
  • We "forgo" amenities like cable and use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime for TV (Savings, $60/month or 26% of the cost of a month of cleaning service)
  • Using cloth diapers  (and we can sell them when we're done, chew on that one...) (Savings, at least $50/month or 22% of the cost of a month of cleaning service)
  • I am giving up the facials that I would get about every 6-8 weeks saving $60 + tip a pop (literally! Bahaha ohhhh zits, you never cease to be a form of entertainment) (15% of the cost of a month of cleaning service)
  • Closing my Southwest credit card - I signed up for this without being fully aware of the $60 annual fee, but I kept on trucking because I like getting points for my flights. Equally, I can use a different card without a fee that still gives me rewards in other ways.  (2% of the cost of a month of cleaning service)
  • They bring in their own cleaning supplies so I don't have to spend money on bleach or whatever cleaners they plan on using... (mayyyyybe 1% of the cost of a month of cleaning service)
  • Plus, I'm being more mindful of how I spend my money. I'm an online shopaholic... Not spending $70/month would cover the rest of the cost of the cleaning service..
 Other reasons why this is right for me:
  • I have been sleep deprived, you won't understand this until you meet the fate of a screaming person every night for 11.5 months... and what's worse is that I wake up even on the random nights when Nolan does STTN
  • As a full time working mother, I think it's well within my rights to outsource a task that I find incredibly dull and bothersome to a person who's willing to clean
  • Ultimately the biggest reason for doing this is so that my little buddy gets a happy mommy to play with.
In the face on Make A Gif
Why wouldn't anyone want this?
They're cleaning my house right now. Knowing that is better than the feeling you get at 4:59 on a Friday of a three day weekend.  

Edit: I said twice a week but meant twice a month! Wow, I WISH!

2 comments:

  1. We hired a cleaning service a month or so before Finn was born and they continue to come every other week. In my opinion, it is money well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! I gotta get moving on scheduling my free in-home estimate!

    ReplyDelete