Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Why I Will Never Vote Republican

Gay rights are one of the most driving forces behind me being liberal. When I was in high school and learned that conservatives are typically against gay marriage that struck a cord with me. I have never thought that gay people should be treated less equally than straight people. Marriage should be recognized because of the love it represents.

"While President Obama has played politics on this issue, the Republican Party and our presumptive nominee Mitt Romney have been clear. We support maintaining marriage between one man and one woman and would oppose any attempts to change that," Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said.

If you're going to try and stop progress and hide behind your bible as reasoning - then that's not ok with me! There is no real reason why anyone should pour money down the drain to prevent gay marriage from becoming legal. There are families losing their homes, and people are starving all over the world - yet people are campaigning and spending hard earned money to oppose something that I KNOW will become legal in my lifetime. And then there's the good people who are donating money to support gay marriage causes - that money could also go somewhere where real good can come of it.

I shouldn't put a blanket "I will never" on something when I suppose it's likely that I may go one route or another. However, if you're a republican candidate that supports gay marriage - you're going to be torn apart by the GOP. But if you're a republican candidate that supports gay marriage, I may actually give you a fighting chance at winning my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment