Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Bite Watch: 2012

I went to the doctor yesterday and she confirmed that they are most likely bug bites and not some sort of hives. But the reaction to the bites is obviously more severe than what normal people get. So I was prescribed some STEROIDS.

ROID RAGE!!!!
Me
Actually that picture is more accurate to how I feel when I DON'T have any meds to help me stop feeling the itch that those bites so urgently make me scratch.

So here's my drug cocktail for the past few days:
  • Oral Steroids (makes me awake)
  • Topical Steroids
  • Benadryl (makes me sleepy)
  • Sleeping pill (to knock me out so I don't feel like itching anything in the middle of the night!
I think the most helpful drug has been the benadryl. The topical steroid ointment doesn't really reduce the itch, but rather it reduces the swelling, which is what I think the oral steroid does as well. This morning those dots were looking more pink than red, and I'm happy to report that I didn't get the urge to scratch my bites all night!

Tip Of The Day... if you are like me and get up in the middle of the night to go the the bathroom, have a benedryl ready for you (if you have bites like mine, not if you're just having a normal day or something) and take it in the middle of the night. That way you still have some of the 'dryl in your system when you wake up and you're not as prone to the shock of the itching sensation again!
Am I the only one that misses these commercials?

1 comment:

  1. The More You Know makes me think of Reading rainbow for some reason... oh being a child of the early 90's =)
    Glad the swelling, itchiness and redness has gone down!!

    ReplyDelete