Monday, February 10, 2014

It's Getting Real

Nolan is, like, days away from crawling. I am in trouble!

But seriously, when he hits new milestones it is genuinely the most exciting thing for me. Just yesterday we were shopping at Target and I set him down in the Target display crib because I needed to get my phone out of my coat that I took off to put in the cart while shopping... too much detail. When he was in the crib he started to pull himself up from sitting to standing. I about shrieked with delight!

I have been slowly baby proofing the house, which is no easy task, but I feel like a freaking badass with my power tools! Yes, I, a WOMAN, am doing home improvement projects to baby proof the house. This girl don't need no man to do her heavy liftin' (sorry Brian - but this is an "I am woman hear me roar type post")

Here's what I've done so far:

  • The cabinets under the sink - I used something like this which required some drilling to get the screws in.
  • The oven - Just a super strong sticker to install this
  • The blind cords - No need to use power tools, these screws go easily into drywall
  • Table corners - this one is so easy a caveman could do it (more stickers)
  • Door stopper for Nolan's room (no pinched fingers... or slammed doors when he gets older and gets an attitude!) - Absolutely no work for this other than placing on door
  • Door knob covers - Only trick here is latching the things back together when they've been split in two
  • The TV - Just in case he thinks it's fun to climb on our entertainment center and pull down our flat screen! Super duper adhesive involved here. 
  • Most importantly, the furniture straps. You'll understand exactly why if you know the blog post I'm thinking of in regards to why this is important. I can't find the link, but if you have the link, please share in the comments. I used my drill for this into both the furniture and the wall (and I needed a stud finder).
I've been doing things slowly but surely because I know the time is coming where our little immobile boy is going to be getting into EV.ER.Y.THING. I'm not sure how many readers followed me from my previous blog but if you have a little one and you're thinking you can't do baby proofing stuff because power tools are scary or whatever... you absolutely can do it! And it's an adrenaline rush when you get a project done that you've been wanting to do forever.

1 comment:

  1. I know THAT blog. And will be buying furniture straps this second (I, too, shopped at target yesterday, and picked up the cabinet latches, knob covers and outlet covers!)

    ReplyDelete