Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mattress Watch: 2014

Thank you to everyone who read my blog last week about Nolan's new mattress and made comments! In fact, thank you to anyone who leaves me comments - they really make my day!

It has now been officially one week since we purchased the new mattress that I mentioned in this post. Since buying the new mattress, Nolan has experienced a complete 180 in regards to sleep. I regret not having purchased this new mattress initially when Nolan was first born because it clearly is the golden ticket to a good night's sleep.

With every move Nolan made in the middle of the night, his bed cracked and sounded hollow and plastic. I remember putting him in his crib and he would shake his head back and forth and I would hear the sound of the sheet rubbing against the material of the mattress. He would get so unsettled in his crib! It seemed like co-sleeping was the only way either of us would ever sleep again so we brought him into our guest room and he would sleep soundly. I initially thought it was because he could feel us nearby, our body heat would keep him warm and our smell would make him feel secure.

Scoff. Hurumph. Exasperated sigh.

No, I firmly believe that it was the mattress.

After months and months of waking up multiple times a night, Nolan slept like Lionel Richie... ALL NIGHT LONG. Yes, I stole this joke from an episode of HIMYM. No, I don't feel bad about it.

Here's the mattress I bought... http://www.target.com/p/simmons-kids-beautyrest-black-cozy-dreams-mattress-white/-/A-14543616#prodSlot=medium_1_16&term=simmons

Good reviews are coming their way!

In related news Nolan got his first baby book in the mail this week!
11x14 book, 110 pages

The book is awesome, but I think I may have gone overboard with very similar pictures on each page. But I wouldn't change a thing now (obviously because they're expensive). There is one page in particular where there are like 20 pictures of him just asleep, from the same nap. Not like different times he's slept and it's a theme page, but just the pictures I took I just threw them in there.

My basic theory is that I didn't want to throw any pictures away, no picture "wasn't good enough" to include. Now my revised theory is quality over quantity. I'd rather that there are a few of the best pictures on each page and that there are a lot more variety in each book. I'm working on the book slowly as I get pictures in (and if I have down time!) I'm already really liking the 2nd book a lot!!!

I definitely recommend shutterfly for picture books, they have really great customer service too. I can't wait til I have a whole mess of books to look through :) And I just purchased a "this life" subscription so that I have full resolution images of my pictures accessible online. It's not cheap but I think it's important that I have a place that I can save my images to without worrying about my computer crapping out. Plus, this way I get to look up pictures that I recently took and uploaded from home and then I can add them when I blog *ahem* not at home.

3 comments:

  1. I approve of the HIMYM quote. TWO THUMBS UP.... or better yet Amaze-balls Five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Not only can a good mattress be a world of comfort, it can also be a monumental change in life patterns and directions. It's cool that you've set your kid up early with much better rest, so that he'll be more invigorated with his daily activities. All the best!

    Dante Storey @ The Healthy Bed Store

    ReplyDelete