Thursday, December 4, 2014

Thankfully.

Hey everyone! Remember me? Sorry it's been quite some time since my last update... I blame work.

Anyways, how was your thanksgiving? Mine was awesome, spending time with my sisters, mom, brother in laws, and my niece/nephews. We went to my sister's place in Iowa City and there was a lot of card playing, drinking beers, and trying to get my little man to take a freaking nap already.

Nolan has been doing great! Honestly, I feel more and more thankful every day that he's mine and even more thankful that he was born healthy and that any health complications he has are easily remedied. Case and point, he just got his first ear infection.

It was actually last Monday night. Nolan woke up screaming bloody murder which, unfortunately, isn't uncommon for him. We usually bring him into bed with us and try to get some sleep that way. He hasn't responded well to sleep training when it comes to MOTN wakings. We deal with it and thankfully we have a king size bed so he fits in with us easily (it's a little more difficult to co-sleep on your nephew's full sized bed, just sayin').

But poor little man was screaming from about 11pm-4am which is THANKFULLY unusual. I figured it was an ear infection because nothing could console him. I called first nurse around midnight to see if they thought we needed to go to the ER and she said no. It wasn't until around 3:30 or 4am when I called again because Nolan had a solid fit of over an hour without the ability to be consoled. So when I called first nurse the 2nd time they said to take him to the ER.

So I got him loaded up in the car (which I got a new car btw, I'll have to take some glamour shots when I think of it next) and before I knew it he was asleep in his car seat. I figured since he was able to finally get some rest it didn't do either of us any good to take him to the ER so I drove around for about 20 minutes to make sure he was really sleeping.

I was able to get him to sleep until about 7am that morning (lucky me) and I called in sick - actually I emailed in sick. Does anyone actually "call" in sick anymore? I just sent in an email... whatever.

So I called the pediatrician and she was able to see him at 10. Thankfully we were able to get him in before too long. I didn't have to wait for an afternoon appointment. She identified him having an ear infection immediately after he tugged at his poor little ear for her. Such a smart boy, knowing how to show the doctor what hurts!

Tonight is his last dose of amoxicillin - HOORAY! And next week we have a follow up to ensure that his ear infection is truly cleared up.

I'm truly thankful for modern medicine.

I once again am just so thankful that Nolan has been an extremely healthy and happy baby... ugh toddler (he'll always be my baby).

I draw a lot of my thanks for his health from a friend/former roommate of mine who's son was born prematurely at 24 weeks. They've made a private facebook group detailing the struggle and triumphs of their little boy and he's growing bigger and bigger. Just recently he hit 8 pounds after being born at 1 pound and a few ounces. My heart goes out to them every single update because I don't know that struggle and I'm so thankful for it. I know that might come across as heartless in a way but really I'm just trying to say that I'm so glad that Nolan was born full term (and even a few days late thankyouverymuch) and that we were able to take him home after the standard stay in the hospital. I don't have to worry about the struggle of having a premature baby and I just wish that no one ever did have to worry about it. I'm glad to see that their little boy is well on his way to getting out of the NICU and going HOME! It's a long time coming and I certainly can't wait until that little man gets to see what his room looks like and to sleep in his own crib without tubes attached to him. Until then, I hope everyone keeps their little man in their thoughts and that he gets to go home soon!

This post was brought to you by the word "thanks"

Until next time, here's my boy playing with toilet paper...

1 comment:

  1. glad Nolan's over his ear infection! they can be beastly... and what is with babys, no - TODDLERS! playing with toilet paper?! button likes to bat at it like a cat!

    ReplyDelete