Wednesday, January 11, 2012

10 Mile Run

In May, I'm going to run the Soldier Field 10 Mile Race again. 

I use the word "race" sparingly in this case, because for me, I'm not competing.  In fact, I've never really been good at competing, at least physically.  But I am competing with myself.

Last year this was my finishing time:
My memory must have been a bit fuzzy when retelling my time to coworkers and friends that I said that I was doing this with... because I swear I got under a 10 minute mile.  But the chip time don't lie.

I am going to get my time UNDER a 10 minute mile at next year's race.  I was SOCLOSE here...

My plan before the race is obviously to run and get myself in shape, but as I mentioned in yesterday's post - I'm going to be doing a lot of cross training for the next 8 weeks and not as much running.  ACK I hate conflicts in my personal goals.  I want to get faster but I can't even try right now. 

My inner battle goes something like this:
"If you want to get faster, you be running until the race"
"Come on, you're doing cross training, you're getting in your cardio - it's not like general cardio and running are THAT different!"
"Of course they're different!  Do you get ready for a race by climbing stairs?"
"Well sure, that's cross training"
"You don't get what I'm saying!"

You're right, I don't.  And I'm becoming a little skitzo if that's really how my mind works, which if this is ever submitted into evidence that I'm insane, it totally doesn't work like that okaaaaaaaaaay.

But overall, I think getting fit and doing Kosama isn't going to HURT my chances of getting faster, but I'm just not as focused on running as I'd like to be to get under a 10 minute mile.  Kosama ends in March, and after that I'll have nearly 3 months to train for the race. 

Ok, personal battle - you may calm yourself.  3 months is a long time to train for a 10 mile race.  You're gonna be fine.  And you're gonna beat your goal!

2 comments:

  1. You will have plenty of time to train for your race and get faster - the voice in your head that says Kosama will help you and make you faster is right! Maybe start running a day a week as you approach your training time so it's not such a shock to your body. You will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete