Tuesday, January 10, 2012

28 Years Later


I am 28!!!  My birthday was yesterday so I should have posted this then but strangely it just didn't FEEL like my birthday.  It was a relatively normal Monday and I went in to work and everyone was nice to me even though I didn't bring in treats hehe! 

After work, I had my first real workout at Kosama.  It was definitely fun!  The first day was plyometrics (jumping).  It was fun because the music was "dancey" so I felt like I was just the whitest girl at a party dancing her ass off.  Of course we did lunges and burpees (look that one up, they're dangeresque) but overall it was a great workout.

What you should know about Kosama:
-It's an 8 week, intensive workout course.
-You can go in up to 6 days a week
-They take a before/after picture (I work a blue bikini... that poor camera!!)
-The workouts include: Plyometrics, Upper Body, Lower Body, Kickboxing, Yoga, etc...
-There are people of all fitness levels, however I feel like people with advanced fitness skill tend to gravitate towards joining things like this. 
-Maybe over 50% of the class was "alumni" - people that have done the course before.
-They push protein intake, about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass
-They push upping your water intake big time
-They have you know and understand what your BMR is and why it's important to losing fat vs. muscle
-They have a scale that can break down your fat content vs water and lean muscle
-Your results are what you put into the class, and I plan on whooping my butt big time!

My goal:
-Ideally, I'm going to go to class 6x a week, but realistically I'd like to go at least 4x a week. 
-To prioritize working out over getting a drink with coworkers (or other social activities).
-If social activities may get in the way of my workouts, go to the class in the morning instead (ie, this Friday we're having a work holiday social after work and I am going to have to work out first thing in the AM)
-To have a visible difference in my body fat content as shown in the before/after photos
-To lose 10 pounds from my starting weight

Right now I'm wrestling with a dilemma - as you may remember, I tend to be a gym slut.  I go from gym to gym and I don't care who gets hurt.  I break hearts gym memberships like it's my bidness.  I think that says a lot about how I crave different activities all the damn time.  Part of me wonders if I should quit the regular gym membership (they won't let me put my membership on hold for 2 months while I do this unless I pay for a year up front) and just get in the habit of working out outside and alternating that with doing a Kosama course (8 weeks on, 8 weeks off).

Bottom line is that I feel what I'm doing for my body is going to help me more in the long run.  I want to be in shape and fit for the rest of my life and I feel that paying whatever it costs in gym memberships and workout clothes far beats the cost of prescription pills and surgeries in the future. 

Tonight is Upper Body!!! 

Did I mention that I'm really sore???

3 comments: