Friday, January 13, 2012

Worst Thing Ever

Riddle:  What sound annoys everybody, but nobody else? 

Answer:  Your own voice!

I have to say that is probably the single worst thing about my job.  Let me back up... part of my job is to write the newsletters for the different departments of the college.  To ensure accuracy in my interview, and to potentially protect me from anyone who thinks that I'm some sort of Woodward or Bernstein (journalists I definitely admire - especially after watching Dick, starring Kirsten Dunst)

Seriously great movie - and it helped me a lot in my US History class in HS when we covered Watergate.
I just want to make sure I don't do something wrong ok?

Well, under my own instruction/idea/self hating, I record my interviews and play them back to myself while I type up a transcript of the conversation, which so far have been anywhere from 15-30 minutes.  So, when was the last time you listened to your own voice for that long? 

It's not just listening to my own voice that irritates me (do I really sound like that?), but it's listening to what I have to say.  I really hope that I learn to speak more elequently because quite frankly I sound like a freaking valley girl.  Judging by how I just used "freaking" in the last sentence, I have a long way to go before I start speaking like Mrs. Doubtfire.  (Mrs. Doubtfire is the only person I can think of at this moment that doesn't say Ummm all the time - also a sign that I have a long way to go - also a sign that it's on TV as I write this.)

Your homework:  Record yourself having a conversation with anyone and play it back, type it up and let me know if you don't think you sound like a freak.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate, and if it makes you feel better, I think most people feel that way. I also cringe whenever I have to hear my own laugh.

    ReplyDelete