Thursday, March 22, 2012

Had a moment, Had to share

So yes, I've just emailed my family this and since family is like 75% of my readers I realize this is redundant. 

I just had a great moment at work today.  The new interim dean of the College of Business called me into his office out of nowhere... kind of scary, no?  Well I sit down and I'm all ready to write down notes for whatever task he needs me to help with but he just starts going on about what a great job I'm doing for this conference that I'm planning next month. 

He continues to say that I've been ahead of the curve and that every time he thinks of something we need to address for this conference he checks his email and realizes that I've already addressed the issue and gave answers!  He asks, "are you a mind reader?"

This was extremely unexpected because he was just put in the position suddenly after the old dean stepped down on Monday.  I was certain that I wasn't going to see or hear from him for a while because he would be so busy organizing for his new position!

Well - needless to say this really brings me back to my old job in Chicago.  But in the opposite way.  Pretty much take every thing I just wrote and turn it into a negative and that's all I ever heard.  Never anything positive, never anything encouraging... just constantly putting down my work and constantly leaving me in a state of unrest. 

It's unreal - back in the days when I knew I was quitting my job but before I gave notice, I would walk around the office and literally think "I wonder what my future co-workers are doing right now."  Little did I know that my future co-workers are all awesome, my superiors are extremely easy to work for, and my responsibilities are very well suited for the type of work that I am doing.  I say this kind of bittersweet because there are people I still care about at my old job in Chicago, including my old boss, the now CEO.  Although I know he's busy I still like to email him occasionally - and of course I bother my old coworkers with my latest goings on.

Building relationships at work are so crucial.  I'm glad that my new coworkers are also my friends and that my superiors are fantastic
*cue cheesy Full House music now*

No comments:

Post a Comment