Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Zombies, Run! - App Review

In keeping with the theme of the past 2 posts, I decided to do a review of my most expensive app purchase ever.  It's was 8 bucks... but don't let the price turn you off completely

Zombies, Run!

The premise of this app is perfect for a zombie enthusiast such as myself.  I should rephrase, I hate zombies and want them all dead.  But the whole aspect of it is quite interesting to me.

Ahem, so this app is really very fun and has an interesting premise.  You're listening to your iTunes music and interspersed in the music you gear sounds from a radio/walkie talkie.  You start off in a helicopter that crashes after someone shoots at it, you don't know who it is, but you crash land on an island in the town of Abel.  Immediately you're warned about the zombie hordes in a nearby swamp and you're instructed to run towards a tower to get to safety.  Later on you learn that you need to stop by the hospital and pick up something from the Center for Disease Control.  What's in this box is the only thing that will let you into the tower because everyone in the tower earns their keep.

Along the way of your run you randomly pick up objects, like band aids, water bottles, pain medications etc.  These items because useful after your run.  Here are some screen shots.

Below you'll notice the town has a population of 60 before the run, after the run I distributed those items to different sections of the town and then I grew in experience.  You can see that the picture of the town has changed somewhat based on where I distributed the items.

Before Running
After running and distributing supplies

The bottom of the screen shows the items you've picked up along the way.  You can distribute them accordingly to different sections of Abel.

The App comes with 30 missions which are unlocked as you've become more experienced.

I just thought this was interesting... you hear beeping in your headphones, as the beeps get closer you know to run faster!

Now my first day review is that the app is definitely fun and very motivating.  I do have some things that I don't like though... for instance - they could definitely use better voice acting.  While the majority of the app you hear normal voices (with british accents) when you pick up objects a very robotic voice says "picked up pain medications" or whatever.  It's very annoying and kind of hard to understand.  For an $8 app I would have expected better, although I did read this in the reviews so I guess I knew what I was getting myself into.  

Another thing I didn't like was after I ran, my run wasn't recorded... like I couldn't go back and see how long I ran for and look at speed and altitudes like I can with runkeeper.  However, what I read on the website is that they're looking at integrating functions with runkeeper in order to have this same database of previous runs.

If you're looking for a way to make running fun and to work on some interval training (with the zombie chases) this is definitely it!  Because no one wants to hear that the zombies may actually get you!  I think in the 30 minutes or so that I ran and was doing the first mission, I got chased by zombies twice... or maybe 3 times.  But either way it was kind of neat to hear the beeping and the groans of the zombies.  VERY MOTIVATING to want to run faster!




































2 comments:

  1. Why is my last paragraph like that? Ughhhhh formating crap that I don't care to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using this app and I love it! It is definitely exciting to listen to where the next mission will take you, and you learn pretty quickly how to figure out a pace that works with you and the app.

    ReplyDelete