Monday, November 23, 2009

Twilight Sucked


Movie Review time! I saw a movie for the first time since the Hangover this weekend and I'm sad to report it was the box office smash, New Moon - The Twilight Saga.

Call me brave or just stupid but I went there on opening night dispite the rumors that the movie had sold out days before.
I have to admit that there's always a special vibe you get going to a movie with a following like this on opening night, for instance, when I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire* at midnight there's a scene where Harry has to get into the bath tub in order to hear a clue about his next challenge. As he takes off his shirt you hear the girls in the audience cooing and even one special lady who yelled "Statutory!!!". I found that this movie was no different when Jacob, played by Taylor Lautner, takes off his shirt to reveal his physique the girls howled- pun intended.
Since I haven't read the books I can't compare the plot to the actual piece of literature but I can say as entertainment goes, I thought that New Moon was just OK. I certainly couldn't recommend this to my vegan roommate because this movie was extremely cheesy. Poor Bella, so sad that Edward left Forks, PA with his family and dumped her saying that he would never return is so heart broken that she writes emails to Edward's sister, Alice, that are constantly "returned to sender".
My favorite scene had to be when Bella was staring out the window and "October" appeared across the bottom of the screen. The camera panned a 360 view of this depressed teen, who's hair is getting excessively greasy, while she looks out of the window until it completes the loop and we see "November" appear on the bottom. Of course as she's looking out the window, each month shows the weather typical to that of October, November and even December if memory serves. I have to relate this scene to the Black Eyed Peas song "I've Gotta Feeling" when they start saying the days of the week. We get it. You party every day just like Bella is sad each passing month.
So finally, I have to give this movie a C-. Overall story line was predicatable, but cute. I'd recommend it if you have $10 to blow and are in the mood for a sappy romance involving your friendly neighborhood vampire, the girl next door and the werewolf that may or may not get in between the two. I'll let you guys figure that out yourself though.
*Interesting the Robert Pattinson was in both the Goblet of Fire and Twilight. Maybe he's what draws me to movie premieres ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment