Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Weight Training - Update

Yesterday I started my 4th consecutive week of strength training.  As I've mentioned in previous posts, I love working out there for several reasons.  Primarily the reason is that I love the people I'm working out with.  There's the cute mother/daughter group that works out just before I get to the gym, the sweet middle aged man who always likes to give my trainer crap, the fun meatheads (a term I use lovingly) that scream loudly when bench pressing... ahhh it's just FUN!  I love my trainer and the owner of the gym too.  They're both so chill- that's the best word I can use to describe them.  Working out to them is clearly a passion and they take an interest in my personal story and experience with them.

I love working out.  It's come to my attention lately that I'm starting to look more toned and I'm really excited about that!  Overall I just feel better when I work out, usually because I know that I've done something to improve my fitness for the day. 

One of the challenges of working out with a trainer is that he's constantly pushing me to lift heavier weights and do more reps.  I call this a challenge because with running and doing other cardio I typically don't push myself beyond my comfort zone and I eventually fall into a pace that I find "easy" meaning that I'm not struggling as much as I once did.  With a trainer, he knows when I can move up a weight which means that I'm constantly in some sort of pain due to good ol Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS).  This also means that I'm never going to have a leisurely trip to the gym where I lift leisurely weights and don't break a sweat or even run out of breath (who would have thought lifting can be so hard?).

So that's my opinion on lifting.  It's awesome, but in a painful way.

Furthermore, getting married in a few months has me thinking about the future and future mini-me's.  Of course I've had baby fever for about a year now and that's just for some reason NOT going away... unless of course I spend a weekend with some sugar fed kids that may or may not be my niece and nephews.  Anyways, I was reflecting on how fitness and eating healthy not only impacts me but will inevitably impact my future kids!  Eating right and living healthy for now - I think - gives me a better opportunity to be a good mother in the future, and to give my kids a healthy upbringing.  So next time I feel unmotivated, I'm gonna think about little Brunhilda or Sebastian (names I clearly won't use) and get my ass to the gym/not eat that 4th donut.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! May or may not be your niece & nephews!!! Love it. - I am so impressed that you lift weights!! I have been going to my gym for 2 years now & that side of the gym just scares me! I certianly don't want people to look at me & say "that girl clearly doesn't know what she is doing"....so I avoid it altogether!! HOWEVER - I am going to be signing up for a 10K on April 30th & my "trainer" - aka on line site - says I need to do strength training...So I'll need to get over my fear & get to that side of the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong! I love my niece and nephews but iit just reminds me that kids are a handful!

    Lift weights girl!!! Be a meathead hah!

    ReplyDelete