Friday, November 18, 2011

Promiscuous Job Seeker

The title of this blog might be a little bit misleading.  I am only promiscuous in the sense that starting November 28th I will be holding the 4th job I've had since the end of August.  Now-now, don't judge.  If you've read my previous entries about my job search, being dumped by a notoriously evil bank, starting work as a soybean dispatcher (paging Dr. Cliche Iowa Job), and now working at what can only be described as a dream job... well it's been a roller coaster.  Especially this week.  Come along with me, let me tell you the story of how I became an Iowa State University employee.

September 2011:
This Easley was checking out area businesses that are hiring, obviously checking out the ISU website for open positions.  I see a job that sounds like I could be qualified for, I take time to write a very customized cover letter, pull together 8 references from former bosses and colleagues, submit my application, all online.

October 2011:
On the first day starting as a soybean dispatcher, I get a phone call from someone wanting to do a phone interview.  Like right then, on the spot.  No time to prepare!  What do I do?  I DAZZLE her with my skills, while nervously hoping I don't say "um" or "like" more often than sounds natural in a mature woman's voice.

I ace the interview, the woman said she wanted to schedule me to meet with someone face to face for an interview.  I gladly agree to this.  I send her a thank you email with a letter of recommendation from my old boss TK attached.

Weeks pass...

Nothing...
Nothing...
Nothing...

Until!

November 11, 2011:  (11/11/11, how perfect?!)
I miss a call while at work from the person that I was going to have a face to face interview with.  The conversation went something like this.

Them: Sorry about not getting around to scheduling that interview we talked about.  You're clearly the best candidate in the world and we are sooooo super duper sorry for making you wait this long.
Me: Oh please, I figured you'd call - it's only natural you'd want to hire me eventually.  I'm sure you're just waiting until a new position opened up that would be even more awesome than the original one I applied for.
Them: That's exactly what happened.  So we really want to have you meet with 4 phD's, 3 secretaries, 3 other members of staff and a partridge in a pear tree.
Me: Of course, that doesn't sound intimidating at all. 
Them: Excellent, see you Monday!

Before the interview, I was really anxious - but eagerly looking for support from friends and family.

Freaking out is an understatement.

The interview started at 1:00, I was there 30 minutes early.


The interview went really well.  I built rapport with everyone - even the phD's who, admitedly, I was super intimidated by because I thought I'd sound like a real dummy compared to the intellectuals.  My favorite discussion was when they brought up my study abroad experience.

phD1: So do you still practice spanish?
Me: Not as much as I would like to, but I really enjoy languages.  In fact I'm learning German using Rosetta Stone.
phD2: No kidding!  What version do you have?  I'm learning Spanish using Rosetta Stone.
Me: I have the older version, but I understand the newer ones have even more interaction using smart phones and other devices.
phD3: You should really be learning Mandarin
(All 3 phD's laugh as if it's impossible to learn)
Me: Well I do know one phrase in Mandarin that means "How are you?"
(In case this ever comes up in an interview it's: 你 好 吗)
phD3: (who at this point I should mention he's from China) That's right.

End Scene

I really think I proved that I show intellectual curiousity by learning other languages, and given that ISU's students are from around the world, I think this really helped.

Oh, did I mention at the end of all the interviews - I met the Dean of the College of Business?  Talk about intimidating.  This man is a legend.  He's set to step down as Dean this summer - but he's done a lot of good for the College of Business, and I know everyone is going to be really sad to see him go.

After the rest of the interviews, I drove to the MU where I sat in the cafeteria exhaustedly writing thank you notes.  11 of them in total.... which you wouldn't think is a whole lot until you realize you're racing the clock to finish writing and get them to the post office before they close so the recipients should receive them the next day.

Bringing back the art of hand written Thank-You Letters.
For the record, I didn't forget to stamp the letter to the Dean.  I was very prepared at the start of this interview that I had already addressed and stamped the other envelopes so I'd have one less thing to do when I needed to send them on the actual day of the interview.  The Dean interview was a surprise so I had to buy a stamp from the post office.  This is the one they slapped on it:

So professional.

After waiting in line at the post office to buy the aforementioned stamp and to drop off my letters, I got back into my car to find a text from a former Bernstein coworker, and a GLA coworker.  Both saying they just got a call regarding ISU calling them for a reference.  Both said they gave glowing recommendations.  I LOVE THEM.  I couldn't be happier that they called to let me know this because it prepared me for what was about to come.

CAR DANCING!

Oh yes, I danced in the car whilst listening to "Sexy and I Know It" which henceforth will be a song of luck and excitement.

Ok, but really, one of my friends said that as part of the glowing recommendation, they relayed that ISU was really impressed by me and leaning towards hiring me.  And that prepared me for the tentative offer I received on Monday.  Tentative - because I needed to pass a background check.

On Tuesday I received an email that required I submit my information to an outsourced background check system.  I was told in advance that it would be 24-48 hours after I submitted that they'd hear back and give me a formal offer.

LONGEST 52 HOURS EVER

I don't have anything in my past to really be worried about.  I've got good credit, I didn't lie on my resume, I haven't committed any felonies (unless I'm criminally good looking) but still I was waiting on pins and needles all damn day.  Thursday was the worst.  I had this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was wrong.  It was really agonizing - especially when it was 48 hours since my submission for my background test.  I kept checking my phone, hoping I missed a call, or an email. 

Finally at 3:00 Thursday, I was offered a formal job at ISU.  And I definitely accepted.

So after work yesterday I went in and signed my letter of intent.  My new boss had some time and decided to give me a quick tour.  Including showing me my very own OFFICE.  I have 4 walls, a window and a DOOR.  All to myself.  Pardon me for not being able to concentrate on anything else after I found out that I was going to have an office. 

Yesterday pretty much ruled. 

Today, I had to quit my contract job.  That's a story I'll tell once I'm actually done working here (next week).

1 comment: