Friday, January 14, 2011

5k Baby!

Happy Friday Blogger World!

I wanted to share an announcement that I just signed up for a 5k today! It's something I know I can handle, I want to race in something where I know that
a) I can finish
b) I can race to try to beat a goal time.

So my goal for the 5k that's coming up in April, a solid 2.5 months away, is to run at a pace that is faster than a 10 minute mile. Currently I run at about an 11 minute mile on the treadmill, and actually recently I've been having trouble even running for the full 30-35 minutes that I try to run when I'm working out. This will be tough but doable.

April is an iffy time of year in the midwest, you never know if you'll see snow or scorching heat. I'm hoping that it's a happy medium, perhaps a comfortable 65 degrees. I'm also hoping that the snow has melted by then and that the dirt underneath has reasonably dried up so that it doesn't turn into a slippery mudslide.

Oh I would also like to share a personal victory. Today I weighed myself and I have officially reached the 25 pound mark of weight loss. One year ago tomorrow I joined Weight Watchers and weighed in at 174.4 on that day. This morning I weighed in at 149.4! So I broke that 150 pound barrier that had been taunting me for about 3 months and also completed a milestone today! I think that sharing my weight honestly on this blog has been somewhat of an instigator. Even more motivating than the scale at Weight Watchers!

Recent posts I've mentioned that I had already lost 25 pounds so this may seem anticlimatic for you... but I was rounding up. Rounding is a great thing.

2 comments:

  1. congratulations on your 25 lb loss!! That's awesome!! And your mile times!! OY...how I can't wait to be at a 11 min mile!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for road racing!! If you need a training plan my sister and I have used Hal in the past and his plans seem to work well and he has options for all levels:

    http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/index.htm

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete