Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weekend Roundup

Whew!  This weekend flew by...  It's Sunday night and the fiance and I have had a long/tiring weekend.

The poor fiance had to work a "half" day on Saturday, which for him means from 8-3.  By the time he came back I was bouncing off the walls to do something.  I was practically begging him to go to the mall with me because I wanted him to get some new clothes and I felt that I needed to be there to supervise his purchase of jeans from anywhere but Wal-Mart.  His rule of thought is to not spend more than $20 on jeans, I tell him that he'll spend $20 on a case of beer so why not splurge on some clothing that will last years?

We did not end up going shopping on Saturday, but I went to Target though and made flash cards for my new German vocab and some markers to make them pretty! 


Do you like my airplane?  Or my impressive use of space for the "to cover" verb.  Klingeln is my new fave verb as it means "to ring a bell".  Seems like an unnecessary verb for one starting out but I'm loving it.

So today, Sunday, the fiance and I went to Bed Bath and Beyond to register for gifts.  Does anyone have fun doing this?  Registering is harder than it seems like it should be... but there for sure was a distinct difference in our Target and BBB experience.

To illustrate the difference in service I'll first explain our Target registration:
"Here is your scanner - have at it"

For our BBB experience we had a much higher level of customer service, which you think I would love, right?  Well it was actually quite annoying...  The fiance and I come from Iowa, we're not exactly the epitome of class.  Before even registering we decided that we don't need a china set that costs $100 or more, we want the practical every day use china.  The woman that was "guiding" us through our registration was convinced that we needed high end stemware and china etc.  In an effort to get her to leave us alone I gave in and said that her opinions of things we don't need were fine and to add them to the registry... so I'm going to have to delete some things from the registry right now.  

The whole experience was way too involved, like this woman really doesn't need to be there to throw in her input for what she thinks looks good together...  So anyways, we have a follow up appointment next weekend to "finish our registry".

This begs the question:  If you knew someone was registered at Target and Bed Bath and Beyond, which store would you choose to purchase a gift for the couple?  The fiance and I think we have our answer but I'd like your input.

We have less than 6 months til the big day!  I am getting so excited!  I should mention that this weekend was an epic fail in the health category, I haven't worked out since Wednesday, I've ate far too much ice cream and other "bad" foods.  Oh well, just need to make better choices tomorrow, right!?

4 comments:

  1. Uggh! I remember when the hubs and I registerd at BBB...NIGHTMARE. We had the "special" guide and yes, annoying. Telling us what we had to register for and "no that's in bad taste". We both had grown up in the midwest and "special china" was never on our tables! Took us 4 hrs to register...4 hrs we will NEVER get back! Congrats on surviving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given that I am your sister, I will probably be looking at both lists...that being said, I'm glad you choose another location. I heart Target with all my heart, but when it comes to you getting married, the older folk (Not me...I'm not old) will more likely want to get you something from some place other that Tar-jeh (French hee hee!). You asked, so I half-@ssed answered! Have a great night! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen about the China! We got our "good dishes", a full set for 12 from Younkers. They almost always have things on sale!
    I personally like BBB more because of their variety, but sometimes Target has that perfect lamp or fun board games. Plus you can register for fun things like video games or exercise equipment at Target and sometimes I like to get those fun things for friends because I know Grandma or Aunt Bernice will get something useful and reliable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I saw your blog listed on the Two Fit Chicks blog post, and clicked over... I also live in the suburbs, work in Chicago, and am from Iowa!

    Now, to answer your question, I would totally buy the gift at Target! But I also like BB&B!

    My husband did all of our registry stuff, because he lived out in the suburbs and I was still at school in Ames. I am kind of happy I didn't have to do it. The lady at BB&B sounds annoying!

    ReplyDelete