Friday, January 28, 2011

Germany Trip

A fellow blogger that I stalk follow posted her two-year plan a few posts ago and it made me think about my own plan. 

I obviously have a pretty busy year (or 1/2 year at this point) with the wedding coming up but I've been extremely motivated to learn German.  I have subscribed to "word-of-the-day" emails, purchased Rosetta Stone's 5 volume German set, and purchased supplemental books to help when the Rosetta Stone is just too much for me.

I have a love for languages.  There is something about learning a different language that really appeals to me.  I think for the most part, I like to listen to people speak when they think no one understands them.  That's what I do when I'm at the grocery store and I hear a Spanish speaking family or when I'm riding the bus or walking around town.  It always gives me a thrill when I pick up enough of their conversation to make me feel like I'm somewhat fluent in Spanish. 


My ULTIMATE Spanish speaking experience I had was in Barcelona (or Barthelona as they pronounce it) with two very English speaking friends.  Some SPANISH man came up to me when we were by this Gaudi building in Spain and asked me for directions... I knew EXACTLY what he was talking about and gave him VERY specific directions (one block north, three blocks west - or something like that).

The feeling was such a rush.  I was able to help a Spanish speaker with directions in SPAIN?  How does it get any better than that?  It doesn't.

Until my next challenge.  Learning German.

Within the next 2 years, I wish to take a trip to Germany with the future husband and be fluent enough to do something similar.  After the wedding, when I stop bleeding money, I will start saving a small portion of my paycheck towards a special travel savings account which won't be touched until the time is right.  In the meantime, I must once again reiterate my 2011 goal to practice my German on a more regular basis.  Until now I've had no discipline in my German studying, but now I realize that watching Judge Judy isn't as important as this goal is for me.  I will dedicate 30 minutes, 4-5 days a week, to studying German using the tools that I have at my disposal.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!! and don't forget to learn Swedish while you are at it and stop on over...

    ReplyDelete